It may seem like just another word in English dictionary, but it is not. Gratitude is much more than a nine letter word; it is a term in itself; a concept that had evolved several centuries ago, even when languages did not exist for communication. One look in the eyes and the other person knew that he was receiving gratitude for his actions.
So what is this ‘gratitude?’
It is the attitude that you carry as a quality of being appreciative to another person. What do you really do when someone does something special for you? Do you thank him? Do you think a mere ‘Thank-You’ can balance the weight of good Karmas he has bestowed upon you?
This is where gratitude comes into the picture. You don’t have to send thousands of roses back to someone, who has been there for you in your bad times; you just have to show it with the help of your attitude.
In today’s world, we all need a hand on our head, strong fingers to support our trembling ones and appreciation for all the things that we do. At present, even when you do something good for someone, he doesn’t realize it. In fact, instead of being thankful, you are banged with egoistic attitudes.
This is not an ordinary article; it is a journey to success, for I believe that, with the help of gratitude, any individual can attain all sorts of success in his life.
The Power of Gratitude:
Before I emphasize on the power of gratitude, it is very important for you to know whether you have this feeling in you or not. If you have this attitude within yourself, your consciousness is with your conscience. You are conscious about the rights and wrongs you have done and do in your life.
On the other hand, if you do not possess this attitude, your consciousness is dusted, disallowing your conscience to know what you are doing in your life and where you are heading towards.
So, how do I find out whether I have gratitude in me, or not?
Here’s what you need to do:
- Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths
- Inhale deeper and exhale all the air out of your lungs
- Now, move your attention (your sub-conscious mind) to all those people, who have done good to you; these can be your friends, relatives, siblings, parents, lovers or anyone at all.
- Once you get blurred images, concentrate on one of the people you see; what has he done for you? Was he there when you needed him? Was he present in your bad times? Could he prove to be a good man to you?
- Now watch your behavior towards him. Imagine him trapped in a dreadful situation; are you there to help him out in his fears?
- If you see yourself giving your best to help this person, you surely know how to appreciate the good in others. But wait a minute… here’s the tricky part… being good to the already-good in the crowd is easy; how do you handle those, who are not very good to you?
- Repeat the first and second steps; now, instead of thinking about the ones who’ve been there for you, think about those who haven’t. Do you still help them? Do you still promise to be there, when they need you badly and there’s no one else who is turning out to them?
If you are equally good to the not-so-good people in the crowd, you surely have the feeling of gratitude in you. This is because you can very well distinguish between the good and the bad. Moreover, since you are good to people, even when their situations did not allow them to be good to you, you understand their bad times.
The power of gratitude is vast; it has the strength to build you if you use it in the correct manner, but it also has the strength to destruct your life completely (if you ‘fake’ the attitude of gratitude)
When you are good to others, your Karmas often reflect to you and your life. When you are grateful to others, you know that there are people, who are always there to hold you when you fall down in a dark pit.
Why is Gratitude so important?
Gratitude plays a vital role in every single thing that you do. Just like you count your blessings with all the Thank Yous you receive in your life, so do the others. It is like an incentive that you earn when you make the others feel good about making you feel good.
Gratitude enhances all the relationships. Wherever there is appreciation, there are love and care. You can never return Karmic things that people do for you, but with the help of appreciating them, you can always feel relieved to have taken their support when you really needed it.
We all are surrounded with negative energies. Those, who don’t believe in the concept of gratitude, are influenced by negative powers. On the other hand, those, who have the feeling of gratitude in themselves, are the ones that are happy in all the things that they do, because they are more positive in their lives for they know there is good all around them.
- Three Things to do To Improve Your Life with Gratitude:
We all want to improve out life. So how do we do that, with the help of gratitude?
- Appreciate every single thing that you get in your life – Even if your pet wakes you up and saves you from getting late to work, he deserves an attitude of gratitude from your end. A warm hug, a simple I Love You and a kiss on his forehead would always make him wag his tail in happiness.
- Motivate the others around you – Gratitude also means motivating those, who surround you. Tell them how good they are and what they can do to be better in their lives. If you are an employer, appreciate and motivate every single employee in your organization, for it is their equal contribution, which makes you successful in your life.
- Maintain a warm smile on your face – There is so much of stress around us that we barely see people smiling. Even if you see gloomy faces all around you, spread positive energies by your warm smiles. Maintain a nice smile on your lips so that the others, too, smile whenever they look at you.